The Gracie Barra Instructor Certification Program was developed by Master Carlos Gracie Jr. as a learning platform dedicated to all Gracie Barra team members to ensure his philosophies, principles and high standards of instruction are met while at the same time focusing on improvements to enhance the instructor's toolset. Upon completion of this course, instructors will be provided with a certificate that is valid for up to one year.
With over 5,000 participants from all over the world since it was launched in 2010, the ICP has placed a great contribution on keeping all GB team members united as one team, defending one shield, in pursuit of one goal: to teach Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone.
The ICP is always evolving to reflect the improvements made to the GB Method and innovations to the learning experience of each participant. The use of the most advanced e-learning technologies makes the program virtually accessible by all.
2. What is the difference between the ICP Pro and the ICP Legacy?
The ICP Pro is the full 10 course version of the ICP for instructors who have not completed an ICP before or for instructors who have not completed the previous year’s ICP.
The ICP Legacy is a shortened 5 course version of the ICP covering the most important updates and information needed for instructors. It is only available for instructors who have completed the previous year’s ICP (ICP6 Revisited from 2018 only. ICP6 from 2017 will not be approved for registration to the ICP Legacy 2019).
3. What is new with ICP 2019?
Updates to the ICP 2019 include the new ICP Legacy course for re-certifying, a new and improved GB database for certified instructors, leadership case studies, the GB2 Curriculum by Victor Estima, updated GBK program, updated BarraFIT program, and new courses on risk management, personal influence, and the habits of GB champions.
Please note, the ICP 2019 (Pro and Legacy) requires a background check to be completed and passed for certification to be issued.
4. Who needs to complete a background check?
Everyone taking the ICP must complete and pass the background check. The only background check the ICP accepts is the one issued by Sterling Talent Solutions.
5. Why is Gracie Barra requiring a background check for all instructors completing the ICP now?
The background check is one more action taken by Gracie Barra in an effort to increase the safety of GB students and our commitment to excellence.
6. How do I request my background check?
You can apply for your background check online by visiting Lesson 1 of Course 1 of the ICP Pro or ICP Legacy.
There is a link to direct you to an online background check application.
7. What is the cost for the background check:
For residents of the United States or instructors registering under a GB School in the United States the fee for the background check is $19.50 USD and it is paid directly to Sterling Talent Solutions. If there is a validated criminal record found in the following states there will be an additional fee added to the original $19.50 USD that the applicant will be responsible for paying. These states are Maine ($20), Vermont ($30), and New York ($65) and it is paid directly to Sterling Talent Solutions. Sterling Talent Solutions is responsible for running the tests and informing Gracie Barra about the results.
For residents of Canada or instructors registering under a GB School in Canada the fee for the background check is $25 CDN and it is paid directly to Sterling Talent Solutions. Sterling Talent Solutions is responsible for running the tests and informing Gracie Barra about the results
For residents outside the United States and Canada or instructors registering under a GB School outside the United States and Canada the fee for the background check is $19.99 USD and paid directly to Sterling Talent Solutions. Sterling Talent Solutions is responsible for running the tests and informing Gracie Barra of the results.
Background check process may take up to 5 business days.
8. What are the disqualifications based on the background check?
A person should be disqualified and prohibited from serving as a Gracie Barra certified instructor if the person has been found guilty of the following crimes within the last 5 years:
For purposes of this policy; Guilty shall mean that a person was found guilty following a trial, entered a guilty plea, entered a no contest plea accompanied by a court finding of guilt (regardless of adjudication), or received court directed programs in lieu of conviction.
• All Sex Offenses – Regardless of the amount of time since offense.
Examples include: child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sodomy, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, etc.
FELONIES OR FEDERAL OFFENCES
• All Felony or Federal Violence – Regardless of the amount of time since the offense.
• All Felony or Federal offenses other than violence or sex within the past 5 years.
Examples include: drug offenses, theft, embezzlement, fraud, child endangerment, etc.
• Individuals found to have pending court cases for any of the disqualifying offenses will be disqualified. If the disposition of the pending case does not meet the criteria for the disqualification as listed above, the individual would then be cleared and reinstated.
9. When will registration for the ICP 2019 begin?
The pre-registration begins on Monday, March 18th, 2019.
10. What are the special discounts and exclusive bonus material for the Pre-Registration period before the course begins?
March 18, 2019 to April 10, 2019: $127 USD and free ICP eBook*
April 11, 2019 to April 27, 2019: $147 USD
April 29, 2019: $157 USD
*Available after all ICP Pro 2019 courses are available.
11. When will the ICP courses begin?
The ICP begins on Monday, April 29, 2019, with Course 1 being released.
12. Can anyone register for the ICP Pro and Legacy?
The ICP Pro and ICP Legacy are restricted for GB team members only and participation/access is conditional based on the approval of the Head Instructor of the GB School that the ICP student registered under.
The ICP Legacy is only available for registration to instructors who have successfully completed the previous year’s ICP
13. How much time do I have to complete the ICP?
You will have access to all the ICP content for 1 year.
14. I am currently taking the ICP6 Revisited, can I upgrade to the ICP Pro or ICP Legacy?
Anyone who has registered for the ICP6 Revisited on or after January 1st, 2019 is eligible to have access to the ICP 2019 without any additional cost. Please contact email@example.com to request your coupon code.
These people may stop the ICP6 Revisited immediately and start the ICP Pro 2019, or finish the ICP6 Revisited and then start the ICP Legacy 2019.
15. I How long is my ICP certificate be valid for?
The ICP certificate is valid for up to one year counting from the date of completion of all program requirements. The ICP certificate is only issued for instructors who hold the rank of a blue belt or higher.
16. What are the requirements to complete the ICP 2019 Pro and ICP 2019 Legacy?
The following are requirements to successfully complete the ICP and receive your certificate.
1. Study and understand all course material offered in the online courses.
2. Be an active member of a Gracie Barra school.
3. Pass all quizzes with a grade of 70% or higher.
4. Complete First Aid / CPR Training and submit a copy of your valid First Aid/CPR certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Required for all instructors completing the ICP starting in 2019.
**Required for all blue, purple, and brown belts completing the ICP. Black Belts do not need to complete the Practical Activity Report.
17. How much time do I need to dedicate to complete all course requirements?
We recommend 2 hours of studies for each course. Since the ICP Pro 2019 has 10 courses, 20 hours should be dedicated to reading the articles, watching the videos and taking the quizzes online. For all non-black belt instructors, 32 hours of practical activities must be accomplished as well. Also, if you are not CPR certified, you should allocate about 3 hours to complete First Aid / CPR training and for the background check please allow up to 5 business days for the result.
18. Can I transfer my ICP membership to someone else?
No, your ICP membership is non-transferable.
19. If I am unhappy with the course or if I do not pass my background check (United States and Canada only) can I have a refund?
No, ICP membership fees are non-refundable.
20. Can a White Belt student take the ICP?
Gracie Barra allows White Belt students to register and complete the online portion of the ICP course only but does not provide certification nor will the White Belt student be listed on the Gracie Barra website as an instructor. White Belt students are not permitted to instruct classes at Gracie Barra and therefore cannot complete the Practical Activity Report requirement to become a certified instructor. White Belt students may take the ICP course solely to learn more about the GB Method; not to become a certified Gracie Barra Instructor.